Monday, March 19, 2012

Acts 13:14-25

Paul being very familiar with scripture knew that salvation was first offered to the Jew and then God expanded it to include the Gentiles. (Romans 1:16) So when he and his fellow workers begin their ministry in a new city they always started first in the Jewish synagogue if there was one. It is ironic though that after the reading of the Law (the first five books of Moses) and the Prophets, that Paul and his companions are asked to speak. In this particular passage we have a very concise message beginning with the Israelites in Eygpt, and through the wilderness, covering the time of the Judges and then the kingships of Saul and David. From David, Paul seized the opportunity to bring in Christ, David's greater Son. He then remarks about the statement of John the Baptist where he says that he is not worthy to loosen the sandals of Christ.

With this, I want to state a principle that I have about preaching. My principle is to get to Christ as soon as possible and don't get too far away from Him in the rest of the message. However in my verse by verse studies, I can't always follow this principle.

Another principle I use is to get people to know they need to go to Heaven and Christ is the only way. Jesus said: "I am the way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

No comments: