It is quite interesting to find that the evangelist Philip was already doing a great work with the Samaritans when he is given a command to go to see one man traveling back to Africa after worshiping in Jerusalem. We could ask: Why not send someone else to this one lone man? We humans tend to be short-sighted in our thoughts. Through this Ethiopian, God would reach into the continent of Africa. We are told that there are Christians there today that date back to the influence of this one lone man.
Philip is open to the direction of the Spirit of God and obeys. I too want to be open to the direction of the Spirit and ask that each day as I leave the house in the morning. You would be surprised who I meet and why. I could name two instances yesterday alone. I have coined a phrase that God doesn't do accidents.
I am sure it was no coincidence that he was reading Isaiah chapter 53 about the crucifixion of Christ. He was led by the Spirit to be in this very place and God used Philip to help guide him into the truth of Jesus dying for his sins. After this he returned back home to Africa. I can almost imagine Paul Harvey up in Heaven telling "the rest of the story." Simply fiction of course, but an interesting thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment