As a Gentile Christian, I find these verses very relevant to me. If we were to look at the Old Testament most of God's promises were to Israel. That there would be a future church system made up of Gentiles was only a mystery in the Old Testament. Yet God told Abraham that in his 'seed' all the nations of the earth would be blessed. This had nothing to do with keeping the law of Moses because the law was not given until four hundred and thirty years later. What Paul tells the Gentile Galatians that salvation is not in keeping the law of Moses but by faith in the work of Christ on the cross as payment for our sins. This should result in a changed life and it is not because of the law of Moses. Paul is concluding that there is no law given that could bring a person to heaven and eternal life or otherwise Christ would not have had to come here to die for us.
As we read these few verses we must conclude that: we are saved by "grace alone through faith alone, in Christ alone." If I did Christian work for the rest of my life, could I add anything to what Christ did on the cross? The answer is an emphatic "NO!"
"He bore our sins in His own body on the tree." I Peter 2:24.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment