The Galatian church was having trouble with the truth of the free grace of God and those who would come there and preach the rite of mandatory circumcision and other points of keeping the law of Moses. They were Gentiles not under the old religion of Judaism. They ran well but now were in danger of not obeying the truth. Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life". What else do we need. If I add anything to that I am way out in left field.
There is an interesting phrase in verse 13, "We are called to liberty; only do not use liberty for an occasion to the flesh". Liberty is a much misused word in the USA today. We have liberty for abortion, free sex of all kinds, and on and on. We call pornography freedom of speech. My liberty is for living for, and serving God in my new nature and not in my old sinful nature called here in the verse "the flesh". According to Paul in Romans 6:11 we are to look at that as dead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment