Monday, April 5, 2010
John 19:31-42
John 19 gives to us certain details of the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus Christ. We would have to get the details from all four writers to get all of it of course. Now in verse 31 there are details of His burial. In order to hasten the death of those crucified the legs of the victims were to be broken. However, because of what Jesus said in John 10:18, He had power to lay down His life and no one would take it, so He was already dead. I would like to understand the mind of the soldier who pierced the side of Jesus with the spear. A mixture of blood and water came out of Jesus body proving He was already dead for a time. Little did that soldier know that he was fulfilling the words of Zechariah, an old testament prophet, that later the Jewish nation would gaze on Him whom they had pierced. Also, by not breaking His legs this fulfilled Psalm 34:20. I want to pause right here and declare how profound the Bible is. After this we have two men stepping forward to bury Jesus body. Joseph is mentioned first as perhaps he had more means. I want to dwell on what Jesus said to Nicodemus. As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness ect." Nicodemus surely must have said in my words, I will not perish but have eternal life. He may have told Joseph , too. Now I will ask who have you told about Jesus. Joseph's new tomb was also a fulfillment of Isaiah 53:9.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment