Monday, July 19, 2010
I Corinthians 10: 23-33
We can't go back to Corinth and to the idol temples and the meat markets of that day for our present examples. In those days they would offer an animal in the idol temple and the next day that meat would be sold in a meat market. The person who is a Christian would have no idea that that very meat was the day before offered to an idol. Another man who was previously an idol worshipper would see that man buy the meat and be offended. The other man would go on practicing the same thing and have no conscience about it at all. Really both were right in what they did, but Paul is saying that when one is offended it is better not to do it.This may be true in something we may be perfectly comfortable with and free in our conscience, but someone else may feel if he did it would be a sin. Now if I find myself doing something like that I should probably quit that even if I feel perfectly free in my conscience. Paul said in another place: "If meat makes my brother to offend, I will eat no meat while the world stands."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment