Today's passage gives us a classic example of thick-headedness.
The very same people who were fed miraculously the day before by Jesus when he fed the 5,000 were asking for a sign to believe He was the Messiah...
Think about that for a moment.
And, not just any sign, but the sign of manna which they falsely attributed to Moses (or at least gave him some credit for). They said, if you feed us with the bread of heaven, we will believe.
If you don't want to learn, if you don't want to change, if you don't want to be taught, you won't.
Jesus' response to their request for bread was simply this, "I am the Bread..."
The question we have to ask ourselves is this, "Am I being thick-headed like these people were?"
If we say to ourselves often, "That person needs to grow." We might be like these people.
If we say to ourselves often, "I've already gotten to a point in my life where I don't have much else to learn." We might be like these people.
If we say often, "I am not going to change much more at this point." We might be like these people.
These people thought they had everything figured out and they expected Jesus to fit into their box of understanding in order for them to accept Him. As a result of their failure, even when He had done what they were looking for, they still didn't believe.
We can do the same thing today. We need to live with the realization that Jesus is the only perfect person. We all have much room to grow. Our lack of perfection ought to motivate us to always be ready to learn, always be ready to repent, always be ready to change, and always be willing to obey...even if it doesn't yet fit into our box.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment