Monday, July 14, 2008

Ecclesiastes 2:1-11

In these eleven verses I counted the word I and it was used eighteen times. There are two sides to all of us. Solomon was no different. There is the side of me that wants to please the great "I" saying I did this and it pleased me to do it. There are quite a number of accomplishments in these eleven verses. Who was it meant to please, but his own self. He was world ruler of the day. He could do anything he wanted to do. The other side is the Godward side. Solomon, when he became king was very Godward. He said he was like a child and needed God's wisdom to carry on. God answered his prayer and told him He would not only give him that but would also give him riches and honor. In a certain way his father David and Solomon were typical of two different aspects of the Lord Jesus Christ. First of all the warrior King David putting all enemies down and Solomon's reign as King of peace of the millennial reign of Christ.
When Solomon is writing this he is writing not of the Godward side, but his failure in that. He is realizing how much he failed in his life with God and redirected all to himself through the great "I".
We have the choice to direct our lives in these two ways. I can even do this in spiritual accomplishments. Is it me or God doing these things? In worldly wealth is it me acquiring or God giving? The judgement seat of Christ will answer all things.

No comments: