Monday, September 15, 2008

Psalm 69:13-21

The beginning of this psalm is a kind of prophetic parallel about the sufferings of the Lord Jesus Christ. We really have it in most of the rest of the psalm. We call something like this a Messianic psalm, meaning something about Messiah. The verses I am writing about end up with verse 21. "They gave me also gall for my meat and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink." This verse is fulfilled in two places in the New Testament. In Matthew 27:34 it was vinegar mingled with gall which is a kind of stupefying drink to deaden the pain of the Cross. He refused that because He must bear the full load of suffering that He had to bear for us. The second was in John 19:29 after He said, "I thirst." It seems that this He did drink because the sufferings were over.When I look at this psalm and a sort of synoptic psalm 22 I am brought to realize what He suffered for me when He bore my sins in His own body on the tree. (I Peter 2:24) I need to serve Him and not myself. Have you given this much thought as to how much you owe to Him in gratitude for what He went through for you? Please give this your thoughtful consideration.

1 comment:

pastorscott said...

Thanks for the reminder that I am bought with a price. I owe Jesus Christ my all!