Monday, January 21, 2008

Matthew 16:13-23

Who really is Jesus Christ? Jesus asked this question to His disciples as to who others said He was. The answer was John the Baptist or one of the prophets. Than the question gets personal: "Whom do you say that I am?" Such a question really puts us on the spot. I must answer for myself. Peter who is always quick with an answer speaks up: "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." Peter is commended by Jesus for that and He said it was revealed to him by His Father. People today have to make the same choices and you and I must make that choice. There are numerous views of who Jesus is. We must make the right decision.
Jesus said on that rock solid confession He would build His church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. That is a powerful statement. Do I need to fear anything? Now if the Lord Jesus is what is brought out here, what kind of a person should I be? If you want to know more about Him read the rest of the New Testament. There are more potent passages than these about His Deity. His creatorship and how He upholds all things by the Word of His power. However to us He is our Lord, and our Savior and for that we should love and serve Him. Peter was mistaken when he told the Lord He should not go to the cross. I find it interesting that after that great confession Jesus had to say, "Get behind me Satan." We can be sincerely mistaken too at times.

No comments: