Monday, January 28, 2008

Matthew 20:1-16

In these verses we have the parable of the vineyard owner looking for laborers. The first group made an agreement for a penny or denarius which was the proper wage for a day's work. Then he went out the third, sixth, ninth and eleventh hours and hired more. Those were days of a twelve hour work day. There was a difference for the latter ones in that there was no agreement about a wage. He said, "Whatever is right I will pay you." They left it all up to him. Notice what he said to the eleventh hour men. "Why are you standing idle all day?" They said, "Because no man has hired us." The question we can ask ourselves is this. Am I engaged in the Lord's work of some kind or have I been idle up to the so called eleventh hour of my life span? Each of us must answer for ourself. Then comes the payment plan. Notice how everyone no matter how long they worked got a denarius. Surely the last ones were pure grace, but remember it was said, " Whatever is right I will give you. " The first ones began to complain. However, the owner said, "Didn't you agree for a denarius?" This tells me I can't make bargains or barter with God. Isn't everything His? One thing worth noting that he told them was, "Is thine eye evil because I am good?" He can show grace without wronging anyone. Then He gave a principle of the last being first and the first last. We are not to measure each others labor or how God rewards them. This teaches me loads about someone who might have worked less to get the same amount or even more. It is all up to God.

No comments: