Moses is speaking with the LORD at the burning bush. He has just been recruited to get the Israelites out of Egypt by God Himself. Moses felt that there was a possibility of the Hebrew people asking him who this God was that had sent him to their aid. Whether it was an assumed test, or possibly an honest question resulting from years of slavery in a foreign land, or due to their exposure to the plurality of gods (lower case "g") that they had been introduced to in Egypt, Moses had a feeling the subject would come up. God's response, "I AM THAT I AM" God wanted Moses to tell the children of Israel that I AM has sent me. The name I AM THAT I AM is used by God to signify His eternal self-existence. He was not created, He did not begin. He is all-powerful and all-sovereign. He is the true God. The children of Israel were to have no need for worry, Almighty God was going to save them from their bondage.
God then commanded Moses to ask the Pharaoh for a leave in order to allow the slaves to worship their God. It is very interesting that Moses was not initially to ask for outright freedom. God knew that Pharaoh would deny the request. We may wonder why God used this method. It seems like an easier thing for Pharaoh to let the people go on a short-term mission trip and then return to their duties. But what is the worst refusal, not permitting the Israelites physical freedom, or not permitting the Israelites to worship Jehovah God? Pharaoh committed the greater sin by refusing Moses' first request.
God knew that a mighty hand could not change the Pharaoh's mind. But in verse 20 God says, " I will stretch out my hand..." The children of Israel would not be able to escape the land of Egypt by any means but the hand of God.
Moses was chosen to be God's man for this amazing mission. He was promised victory, and to see the hand of God smite the people of Egypt and even to walk away with the spoil. He had spoken with Jehovah God Himself! He must have had all the confidence in the world...wouldn't you? Stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment